Find out more about Law Practice Management Software
What is Law Practice Management Software?
Law practice management software can be used by law firms to manage client and case records, important documents, appointments and schedules, deadlines, and accounting and billing. The system can also help them to meet compliance requirements such as with document retention policies and the electronic filing systems of courts.
Typically, law schools do not teach budding lawyers the skills needed to run a law office. Therefore, many firms use law practice management software to simplify the learning curve and minimize clerical errors. We invite you to check the category's leader PracticePanther and also consider some of the other top performers in the group.
Top 10 Most Popular Law Practice Management Software
Best Law Practice Management Software
How To Choose The Best Law Practice Management Software
A good quality law practice management software is essential for law firms to run their operations smoothly. How can a law practice select a suitable system for their requirements from the numerous available programs? We help you out by providing a list of the features, benefits, and factors that the best law practice management software tools offer.
Get to know each product with free trial
We advise you to start your search by signing up for the free trial plans or demo of the best law practice management software platforms. This will enable you to test drive each system’s features and do a comparison before you invest your money in any of them. Find out if the following leading legal management solutions offer a free trial: Clio, AbacusLaw, CoCounselor, Jarvis Legal, and CosmoLex. These apps have been given impressive rankings in our law practice management software reviews.
- Solo or small firms with 2-5 staff members – Most law firms in the US have less than five employees but they need the same software used by larger organizations. Small practices invest in a legal management software to improve office accountability and efficiency and to consolidate case data across multiple solutions.
- Best-of-breed purchasers – These buyers switch over from manual processes and basic systems to law practice management software because they want to speed up their processes, need an app with industry-specific features, and wish to invest in a modern solution that offers good tech support.
What are Examples of Law Practice Management Software?
- Clio: Helps attorneys build a better practice. Clio is a comprehensive, yet easy-to-use cloud-based law practice management software for small business and law firms as well as large practices.
- AbacusLaw: Offers accounting, billing, case management, and calendaring in one system. You can use it to quickly and easily organize your emails and client files.
- CoCounselor: A cloud-based legal management solution designed specifically for the unique needs of plaintiff’s lawyers. It offers robust features to manage clients, cases, bills, documents, appointments and more.
- Jarvis Legal: With Jarvis Legal, you can save 30% of your time and boost your revenues by 10%. You can use it to track times and easily manage your clients and cases.
- CosmoLex: A cloud-based practice management software for lawyers. It offers reminders, calendars, timekeeping and other useful features.
Types of Law Practice Management Software
Law practice management applications can be listed by substantive law (real estate, collections, estate planning and administration, and bankruptcy) and by practice matter (document management, document assembly, case and practice management, and calendar/schedule/docket control.
Key Features of Law Practice Management Software
- Case management – Offers a central database, flexible and quick searching, task management and tracking, phone messaging, and checks for statute of limitations and conflicts of interest. Organizes the procedure of case management and handling.
- Contact management/legal CRM – Tracks and stores details about emails and phone calls, and provides callback reminders.
- Document management – Drafts files and links to word processing apps.
- Document assembly – Creates legal documents using automated templates that range from simple letters and forms to complex legal documents.
- Docketing and calendaring – Enables you to view meetings, appointments, deadlines, and tasks by day, week, month and year. Schedules appointments and meetings.
- Billing and time tracking – Records billable time on hourly, transactional, or contingent basis.
- Accounting – Manages payroll, trust accounts, receivables, and billing, and creates financial reports.
Benefits of Law Practice Management Software
Law practice management software providers offer tools that give following benefits to law practices:
- Enhances task coordination between support staff and attorneys. The solution enhances efficiency as you can manage deadlines and delegate duties appropriately.
- Links all contacts, calendar additions, tasks, and notes to specific matters and cases. This saves time by keeping cases organized.
- You don’t have to shuffle through paper files as you can perform efficient and fast search of electronic documents by using document management apps. These solutions are especially important during client calls when you need to quickly check and refer different documents.
Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) – Cloud practice management software enables your employees and clients to access data from any device with Internet connection. Many law firms prefer to use cloud software because they are more secure than their own systems. However, do your research and find out what security measures the vendor uses, how frequently they back up data, how much bandwidth your practice needs for comfortable use, and whether the cloud system can manage your data load or whether you should use an on-premise system instead.
Mobile computing – Lawyers often need to access case and client data from their home and in the court. To help them, many vendors are offering mobile applications. Find out if the vendor offers native apps for Android and iOS devices or whether the simply offer a mobile web browser. Security is important and you need to ensure the mobile apps allow you to manage which employees can access the system.
Law firms may fail to maximize the benefits of the software due to the following reasons and challenges:
- International practices may find that the software does not support phone numbers and addresses in countries outside the US. The system may also not provide support for international currencies which will make it difficult to invoice global clients.
- The law firm may fail to customize the system effectively to optimize its usefulness for their specialties and practice areas.
- The software may not integrate smoothly with your existing business apps. Therefore, do your homework and find out beforehand about the integrations offered by the vendor before you invest your money.
List of Law Practice Management Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
Our review platform utilizes our unique SmartScore™ algorithm to examine all the applications in the Law Practice Management Software category to help you get the best possible application. It pays attention to the following metrics: essential components, collaboration possibilities, customization, integrations with other services, user friendliness, customer support, how secure a software is, mobility, general media ratings. At the moment, PracticePanther is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. After detailed testing it received the best results among its competitors and our reviewers strongly suggest that you include it as one of the options for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
A look at general user satisfaction with the solutions in our Law Practice Management Software category calculated using our unique algorythm that finds client reviews, comments and opinions across a broad range of social media sites to help you make an informed investment decision.
Pricing Read More
Each vendor in the Law Practice Management Software category will have a different group of pricing packages for its service and every plan will include a unique group of tools. Below we list the overal pricing for the most affordable package provided for each service. Please note that advanced features may cost extra.
Devices Supported Read More
An analysis of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by all B2B services in the Law Practice Management Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Check what languages and geographies are supported by the best B2B solutions in the Law Practice Management Software category, including apps aimed at international markets and created for multi-cultural teams of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Examine which pricing plans are provided by the vendors in the Law Practice Management Software category to check which one matches your business needs and budget best. Note that some services can provide free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
Customer Types Read More
An analysis of what types of companies a selected B2B platform in the Law Practice Management Software category is designed for, from small businesses and non-profits to large enterprises.
Deployment Read More
An overview of what types of service deployement are offered by every B2B vendor in the Law Practice Management Software category. Although almost all modern SaaS services are cloud-hosted certain solutions might offer an on-site deployment model as well.